One in every of my greatest complaints about Home windows 10 was that it was merely up to date too typically. I even wrote a little rant about it; two ‘main’ updates a yr have been just too frequent and provided too little in the way in which of significant adjustments.
It seems Microsoft had already selected its replace method for Home windows going ahead. Though the announcement is a few weeks old now, I believed it was price highlighting: Home windows 11 is transferring to a yearly replace mannequin, very similar to Android, iOS, and macOS.
To be clear, that is for vital characteristic updates, not smaller safety updates and fixes, which is able to certainly come extra typically. These annual updates, in the meantime, will arrive “within the second half of the calendar yr” and supply two years of help for many customers (three years for enterprise and training).
It is a great point. You may learn extra about why I believe Microsoft’s previous replace mannequin was damaged in this post, however right here’s the gist of why a yearly system makes a lot extra sense:
- Semi-annual updates have been complicated for customers. Many if not most customers didn’t understand when a significant characteristic replace occurred, and certain missed out on necessary new options.
- Yearly updates additionally give Microsoft far more time to implement significant adjustments than a 6-month interval.
- It additionally means Microsoft has extra time to check issues and not break people’s computers)
- Yearly characteristic updates set person expectations, a lot the identical method Apple customers know to anticipate a major replace yearly. It gained’t be as a lot of a shock when your OS will get a brand new look or new options.
- It’s just a little extra thrilling for Home windows followers, and Microsoft can construct up some hype round updates, which additional spreads the phrase to set expectations.
- It means Microsoft could be bolder with updates, versus making an attempt to keep up a comparatively constant Home windows 10 expertise all through updates. Attempting to make Home windows 10 be “the final model of Home windows” restricted what Microsoft might embrace with updates.
To be clear, I don’t know the way Microsoft will go about naming these yearly updates. Maybe we are going to get a Home windows 12 subsequent time round, or maybe merely a Home windows 11.1. However the transfer to an annual replace cadence is for sure an enchancment over Home windows 10’s messy mannequin.
Do you know we now have a e-newsletter all about shopper tech? It’s known as Plugged In –
and you can subscribe to it right here.